Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Knee-deep in… mittens?

It is December 13, and as I while away the days until I get paid so I can do some proper Christmas shopping, I am knitting at a furious pace. I stopped once last week to make a bag for my friend Anna (she is also getting scarf I made), but I know myself well enough that if I don’t pick the needles back up now, I will end up in Target in Atlantic Center Mall next week, looking for something to get certain people.

I am knitting mittens loosely based on this pattern, which is originally for Rowan Plaid. I am using two bulky yarns, Reynolds Blizzard in Violet and Morehouse Merino Bulky Yarn in a nice blue (it is called “Pacific.”)

I rarely see Blizzard yarn spoken about online or used in patterns. I can see why – it feels almost too slippery and soft, like hair that has just been conditioned. I am learning more about the different fibers that are better for different projects. It turns out they make a soft mitten, but I can see them being soppy and unpleasant when wet. It is, however, terribly soft and nice for scarves. My first scarf was one-third Blizzard, because I only bough one skein and I was on vacation in L.A. and just came across it and loved it and bought some size 15 needles and I had a new hobby. By the way, I finished the scarf with Blue Sky Alpaca bulky naturals and yes! It is terribly warm.

Because I like to support the nice yarn stores that supply me in this big bad city (and pay their big bad rents), allow me to mention that I bought the Morehouse at Brooklyn General and the Blizzard at The Yarn Connection. I love Brooklyn General because it is huge (they just moved into new digs) and has miles of pretty yarn and fabric. I love the Yarn Connection because it is close to my job, they always have a 10% off coupon on their Web site, and the two ladies who I assume own it are very nice - not at all what store owners in Manhattan are usually like.

Now if you will excuse me, it is time for my office Christmas party. Excuse me while I try to drink as many Makers and waters as I can in an effort to forget that I hate this event more and more each year.

No comments: