Friday, March 02, 2007

Loukaniko

I guess I am going to squeeze it all in so bear with me. At least there are pictures. (Is it bad to type like people are reading?)

The shrug I started is almost, almost almost done. I got lazy after the second sleeve, but here it is in all the glory. The color is a little off... that blue should be a little more turquoise, but you get the idea. Maybe the picture on the cutting mat was not the best idea. But anyway, it is most definitely small and I hope does not look too silly covering only my shoulders. I have decided I love the pattern and will make another one that actually covers my boobs with some bright red dk I bought at General Bailey's Homestead. Oh my god! I have to post pictures of those sheep. So fun.

Then I had a burst of creativity and re-did the old nurse stool (It looked like the stools the school nurses would sit on) that I rescued from - you guessed it - outside a school. You can see in previous pictures how ugly it was, brown on tan or something. I had a hard time actually deciding on a color, of course I wanted something bright like yellow or red but fabric dictated the show here. I found good-quality cotton gingham with some texture to it (like a really light canvas, almost) at Ragshop, and that kind of said it. I also used the occasion to buy my very own heavy-duty staple gun. I did squeal with fright every time I used it, afraid I would staple my hand together. How, I don't know. Moving on!

Then I decided I would move on to felt plush, stealing everyone else's ideas in the process. I want to say that I have never SEEN the plush ravioli, so perhaps this is the first one. hey, at least it's not a doughnut.

And then, so confident with my sewing skills, I decided I would have to try the machine of doom again. After one breakdown, I actually managed to make a tote bag. Canvas, no lining, but I took measurements (correctly), used my iron, AND did topstitching on this one. Can you see the reinforcement on those handles? I am quite proud of it. I realized how plain it was and I am planning to fabric-paint something on it this weekend that does not involve an owl, a craggy tree branch, or a bird silhouette.

In other news, I had really, really excellent homemade sausage (how's that for a transition?) at Ovelia, a new restaurant in my old neighborhood (Astoria, Queens.) They make it in-house and I have to say, greek sausage, when done correctly, is better than any other kind of sausage in the world. Italian sausage has nothing on this, even the freshly made kind from a real market. This was unreal. I don't know if it is lamb, beef, goat, whatever. It is called
Loukaniko and it rocks. That is Gayle there, going for my piece! The waiter actually asked why I was taking a picture and, not being a suave food blogger, I said "because it's really good. I want to remember it." Which is, really, kind of true. I have to make note that it does lead to some kickin' breath... the kind that fills up the room while you sleep off your sausage coma. And in the morning, the room reeks of sweat and garlic. Do not eat this on a date.

Also, I am now the proud owner of the 1976 version of the Reader's Digest Guide to Sewing. I hope it is as good as everyone says. I realized I need to go back to the drawing board to learn sewing the right way, especially if I ever want to make anything that resembles clothing that I have to wear. In public. In fact, I might be the proud owner of two copies, unless someone outbids me (please!) on this one.

No comments: