Wednesday, January 03, 2007

apologies

I feel terrible that I whined so bad in my last post. I have nothing to complain about in the grand scheme of things. I have my health and a dumb puppy who is FINALLY (fingers crossed) flea-free, and a wonderful roommate to share the great new place with. Of course it worked out, for all my fretting and passive-aggressive anger at any and everyone in my way, and we're moved in and happy and colorful.

There are a million things to do but the Internet goes in tomorrow and tonight I may finally get to my office/craftroom, which I painted a fun light/bright orange. I am afraid it looks too peach now, but I am assured it is indeed VERY ORANGE.

Back to crafting news, of which there has been none because all my things are/were in boxes, I did manage to dig out enough yarns to start a new project.

I want to make note that your typical 99¢ store is a magical, wondrous place for cheap acrylic yarn. Sometimes they even have nice baby soft yarns instead of the itchy usual stuff, but cheap and cheerful works for me, since I am undertaking the biggest project yet:
Bella Dia's Vintage Vertical Stripe Crocheted Blanket.
I admit it, it was the colors here that got me hooked (yuk, yuk) on the idea, though perhaps once I started working on it I realized I have a very drab yarn collection. This didn't stop me, of course, and now I just have another reason to go back to 99¢ Dreams on 5th avenue to find some yellows and white. I am 8 rows in and not bored yet.

Apparently there were/are a lot of crotcheters in the family, great aunts and third cousins and the like, and I was the recipient of some interesting blankets as a baby. I remember seeing them as I got older and my mother put them away lest they be cut up into a million little pieces as I was wont to do with anything of value as a child. But I got excited at the thought that I will make an heirloom, and if I get good enough at it, I can make them for other people as well. Those blankets were a huge comfort to me, my mom, and the thought of doing the same is extremely gratifying.

No comments: