Wednesday, December 27, 2006

black blox exercise

There is a special place in hell reserved for my boss and other non-retail business owners who insist on keeping their centrally located midtown Manhattan offices open the week between Christmas and New Year’s.

It just took me 30 minutes to walk from 55th and 6th to 47th and 5th. Why? Because of the tourists, the majority of whom seem to have been procreating since last year’s trip. Here is a tip: Don’t use a large stroller in midtown. Just don’t! Because that makes it all the more hard for people to fit into the pens the NYPD has set up at all corners along 5th and 6th avenues. Yes, pens, like protesters. I would like to protest the amount of assholes walking around the city today.

Christmas was really great, though. I did not get as much sewing/knitting/etc. things as I would have thought but the people I made things for seemed to appreciate them and I enjoyed the chance to do it. I was bestowed with some very lovely gifts, such as a bass guitar (!), some really really really great moccasins and a really really really soft robe, books I had wanted, a 2-qt. Le Creuset (!!!) and a lady tool kit. It was a banner year.

Sadly, still, I definitely feel a sense of dread now that they are over. I am in apartment limbo at the moment, so if that works out I would feel a lot better. But the weather is not very wintry, and while yes, I know it sucks to be cold and wet and snowy, it is New York, for chrissakes. Live in South Carolina if you want this 60-degress bullshit year-round. I like that the snow is supposed to come and people bundle up and stay indoors or rush into bars and steam up the windows.

Sigh. I apologize for spewing too much bile. I am just hoping things work out…

No comments: